he ate and drank the precious words, his spirit grew robust;
he knew no more that he was poor, nor that his frame was dust.
he danced along the dingy days, and this bequest of wings
was but a book. what liberty a loosened spirit brings!
- Emily Dickinson

Monday 5 September 2011

A Summer of Novels

For the first time since I've started keeping track of my reading, I hit the "20 novels" mark over the summer. It's certainly tempting to brag about this, until I look at my list and realize just how many books I read for school (1, 4, 18, 19) and how many shouldn't really count for their simplicity (5, 13):

1) The Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan
2) Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
3) 39 Steps - John Buchanan
4) The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan
5) The Clocks - Agatha Christie
6) Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
7) The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut
8) The Lady and the Unicorn - Tracy Chevalier
9) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K. Rowling
10) The Lyre of Orpheus - Robertson Davies
11) Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood
12) Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
13) A Year in the Scheisse - Roger Boyles
14) Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
15) The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood
16) Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
17) Tender is the Night - F.Scott Fitzgerald
18) The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
19) Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
20) The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood

Looking back at this list, I guess I can say a few summarizing statements about my reading this summer:
- I fell in love with Margaret Atwood (more to come on that).
- I challenged myself with some classics I had long ignored (Brave New World, Jane Eyre, Fahrenheit 451, Cranford, and Tender is the Night), and while I enjoyed some, others I found overrated.
- I am quite a varied reader: girl books, boy books, old books, new books, plot books, character books - am I too malleable, or is this a good thing?
- I am lucky to be part of 2 excellent book clubs, since my book club books of the summer were Catch-22 and Oryx and Crake. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment