he ate and drank the precious words, his spirit grew robust;
he knew no more that he was poor, nor that his frame was dust.
he danced along the dingy days, and this bequest of wings
was but a book. what liberty a loosened spirit brings!
- Emily Dickinson

Tuesday 11 October 2011

Franny and Zooey and Seymour and Jesus

I have just finished reading Franny and Zooey, by J.D. Salinger, for the umpteenth time. Lukas led me to this book about 10 years ago, and although I no longer feel as connected to Franny as I felt in my early 20s, she is still one of the most relatable and empathetic characters I have ever read. I feel her.

Somehow, every time I come back to this book I have forgotten how heavily Jesus-themed it is. I remember Franny's feelings of disillusion and confusion with the world, yet somehow Zooey's beautiful Jesus rant comes as a surprise every time - a wonderful, joyful, Jesus-surprise. So, I thought that I should more permanently take this rant into myself, the way I have consumed Franny, and thus I am sharing it with you. As Zooey Glass says,
       "My God! He's only the most intelligent man in the Bible, that's all! Who isn't head and shoulders over? Who? Both Testaments are full of pundits, prophets, disciples, favorite sons, Solomons, Isaiahs, Davids, Pauls - but, my God, who besides Jesus really knew which end was up? Nobody. Not Moses. Don't tell me Moses. He was a nice man, and he kept in beautiful touch with his God, and all that - but that's exactly the point. He had to keep in touch. Jesus realized there is no separation from God.... Oh, my God, what a mind!"

Thanks for that, Zooey. And thank-you, Franny, for introducing the Russian pilgrim's prayer book to me - I just ordered it off Amazon, and am looking forward to my upcoming existential crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment