he ate and drank the precious words, his spirit grew robust;
he knew no more that he was poor, nor that his frame was dust.
he danced along the dingy days, and this bequest of wings
was but a book. what liberty a loosened spirit brings!
- Emily Dickinson

Sunday 18 December 2011

A Searching Sonnet

I found my journal from 2010, and I got a lovely surprise in the form of a number of sonnets that I had written - now almost two years ago - and had completely forgotten. So many questions...

Is wisdom found just in the fear of God?
In learned obedience? In what is heard?
In small moments of grace when we are awed?
In what we read in life: the Living Word?

Can it be found without action or sound,
When life takes a quick second to be still?
When I have shut my eyes to all around,
Is that when I with wisdom will be filled?

Or should I leave the stillness far behind?
To not just be, but now also to do?
To act with love along the paths that wind,
And thus to search and learn all that is true?

But as these questions through my mind do flow
A message comes from God:"I'm here to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment