he ate and drank the precious words, his spirit grew robust;
he knew no more that he was poor, nor that his frame was dust.
he danced along the dingy days, and this bequest of wings
was but a book. what liberty a loosened spirit brings!
- Emily Dickinson

Thursday 22 March 2012

A Sonnet for John 8:32

As I am preparing and writing this year's Bible Curriculum, focused on Discipleship, I have been searching for appropriate theme verses for the summer, and right now one of my options is John 8:32. It has been floating around in my head, so when we wrote sonnets in Grade 12 Lit the other day, it became the topic for my poem:

A Sonnet for John 8:32

"The truth shall set you free," it was proclaimed,
And yet it seemed that no one understood
Their hearts with hope and love, wholly enflamed
For asking questions, what would be the good?

As years went by this freedom was perversed
And soon they thought this was for "me," for "I"
The hope he had exclaimed, it was reversed
Now "freedom" comes when enemies do die.

The truth that had been meant for all to hear
- the truth that said how freedom comes through grace -
Where all were meant to live in joy, not fear
Has been by our great world destroyed, debased.

And so we must return to that first plea,
To live in truth, where love will set you free.

No comments:

Post a Comment