he ate and drank the precious words, his spirit grew robust;
he knew no more that he was poor, nor that his frame was dust.
he danced along the dingy days, and this bequest of wings
was but a book. what liberty a loosened spirit brings!
- Emily Dickinson

Tuesday 17 April 2012

A Synaesthesia Sonnet

In Poetry Club we were challenged to write a poem using synaesthesia, which is when you mix up your senses, so that you smell things that you should hear, or see things that are meant to be felt. The most synaesthetic experiences in my life come through music...

As music fills the space where I abide
Each note, each phrase finds life beyond just sound
The song, it seems to come from deep inside
My senses spring awake, no longer bound

In every tone I see bright colours burst
Fleeting and prancing pictures in my mind
And for the flavours of this song I thirst
But soon it's quenched as melodies unwind

The sound is thick as it flows through the air
Just like a humid day, this wall of notes
I feel it brush my cheek, dance through my hair
My senses on a sea of song now float

Through sight and touch, through taste and smell and sound
The music makes me whole, from lost to found

No comments:

Post a Comment